Wednesday 27 January 2010

27 January

It's nice to have a full house once in a while. My fellow 2004 swearers-in and I have tried to meet roughly annually for curry: when we lived near a reliable Bengali restaurant, we'd gather at Smith Towers and walk down the road. Since our move, we've tended to meet at a restaurant in Tonbridge, but I find the noise completely ruins any chance of conversation. Well, last night we gathered here, joined by a 2002 colleague who went through another rite of passage with us, chairmanship training. I have to admit to buying in the pappadums, naans, samosas and onion bhajis. One of the gang brought a delicious chicken curry, another a splendid pudding, and I dug out my Madhur Jaffray recipe books and knocked out a chicken curry, saag aloo, mushroom pullao and of course the time-honoured chick peas. We had a great time, swapping gossip, funny and horror stories from the bench and generally having a good natter over the meal.

It didn't help that the main road is up each night on the bottleneck stretch by the Spa, so people had to make some lengthy diversions. I've heard from one of them today: the others are probably still going round in ever-decreasing circles.

I'm conscious of having eaten far too much, as usual. And guess what I'm having for lunch?

No comments: