Thursday 21 January 2010

21 January

More snow yesterday - great big wet lumps of it for a couple of hours. I tire of this. Add the on-off relationship between my PC and the new router, and you'll see that even the prospect of a day in the Yewf court offers a degree of solace. I should be able to get back to my country lanes today, since yesterday's snow didn't lie on the tarmac. A greater risk is actually flooding: my route to court takes me across the flood plain of the Medway, and at this time of year it's not unknown for one or other of the roads to be under water.
Goodness me! A Republican senator in Massachusetts! What's this about? General mid-term malaise or something more specific? I could understand well-heeled and well-insured republican voters being reluctant to shell out for better health care arrangements for those left below when they pulled the ladder up, but why would democrat voters desert over that issue? I suppose there's disenchantment over the failure to deliver on campaign promises, but who's taken in by hustings rhetoric these days? Forty-some years ago, my political philosophy tutorial group was set the essay title 'Why do we value a democracy?', and after debate, concluded that we didn't, preferring an idealised benign despotism. My views haven't changed a whole lot in the meantime.

2 comments:

M. said...

Gosto mesmo muito da maneira como escreves, David.

DCS said...

Obrigadissimo, amiga!