Wednesday 22 February 2012

Books lately

I mentioned last month that I was quite glad to finish battling through Kate Mosse's Labyrinth. Since then I've read Jo Nesbø's Redeemer and finished Donna Tartt's equally bloody Secret History, the latter on paper, bought for a song from the heap at the Scout hut, where I meet my painting cronies. From the same source, I picked up Kate Atkinson's Emotionally Weird. Her stuff is certainly varied: I like her Jackson Brodie whodunits, but struggled with the museum thing.  Emotionally Weird is peculiar in the extreme, using different typefaces for each panel of the narrative.  The setting in Dundee was a plus for me, of course, as was the dialect from some of the characters, like: ‘she’s a crabbit wee wifie!’, and, in Wallace’s in Castle Street: ‘a plain bridie and an ingininana’, which fair took me back.  In fact, three of the four titles I mention have something in common: more or less familiar settings of the Corbières, Oslo and Dundee.  I’ve nothing unread in the Kindle at the moment, but I think there’s another Scout Hut special on top of the book case.

No comments: